BED BUG FACTS! BEDBUG EXTERMINATION RI PROVIDING SERVICES TO RHODE ISLAND
Looking for some truth about bed bugs and the extermination process? Here at Bedbug Extermination RI we like to be as honest and upfront as possible. That way you understand our process.
Bites are usually the early warning sign of a bed bug infestation. Bed bugs feed only on blood. Each life stage feeds, except the egg. They insert the fine stylets from their beak directly into the skin in search of a tiny blood vessel, and may move and bite repeatedly until they find the right spot. At each point the beak releases saliva into the skin. The saliva contains proteins and enzymes that will cause an allergic reaction in many people. Allergic reactions vary widely from practically no reaction, to small itchy red or white bumps, to blisters or pustules. Not every person in a household will react the same way and many times only one person will show signs of bites, leading others to believe it cannot be bed bugs.
- Females can lay between 250 and 500 eggs in their lifetime
- Eggs hatch within 7-10 days
- Bedbugs can survive without feeding for 5 months
- Bedbugs prefer to bite without crawling onto host
- The first bite requires 10-14 days for a reaction, later bites react faster
WHAT MAKES PESTICIDES DISTINCT FROM OTHER INDOOR TOXICANTS?
- Pesticides are made purposefully to be toxic
- Pesticides include a wide variety of toxicants
- Use of a pesticide = contamination of your home
- Pesticides have been used indoors in most housing /buildings repeatedly for decades
- Multiple pesticide residues exist indoors
- Pesticide residue is much higher inside than outside
- Bedbugs have the ability to resist pesticides. They may not die with pesticides alone.
- Excessive insecticide application
- Failure to wash or change pesticide-treated bedding
- Inadequate notification of pesticide application
- Below ~55˚ F Development stops
- Above ~99˚ F Development stops
- Bugs thrive at temps of ~68˚ F – 80˚ F
- Die at Temps greater than 119˚F
- Clothes dryer: 30 min
- Whole room: 72 min
- Affects all life stages!